New Year, New Adventures...

Welcome to 2008!!!

I wish you all a good year filled with health and happiness for you and your family. And when I say "all" I actually mean "all", even those that consider themselves my enemies...

When a new year comes along it is usually a time to think about what went well in the last year and what hasn't gone that well and to make some new year resolutions. If I believed in New Year resolutions mine would be to improve my health and fitness. Since I don't believe that making resolutions only once a year I won't make any...

My vacations are practically over. I was finally allowed to take a vacations. I said allowed because I actually had to site laws to get them to approve my vacations, but it was worth it: I finally got some time to just recharge my batteries, you know, sleep 11 hours per day, read a book and basically do nothing...

Work will start next week and I think it is time to scare the crap out of them. I believe I should be professional to the extreme, that is, to do only what I'm told. I've always worked for the same company and through all the years I've heard what I didn't deserve so many times just because I went the extra mile. I'm looking for alternatives and in the meantime I'll make some waves just giving my opinion, asking for it to be recorded on the minutes and then doing exactly what was asked of me, not more, not less. Let's see if the managers can handle this...

It will all start with a trip to the capital for a meeting and the trip still hasn't been approved. Looks like someone made a long trip to my country to have a meeting with me and I won't be there because I won't travel without everything approved (I've been burned previously and I won't be burned again).

I'm now part of an international standards body that is doing something that isn't worth doing. The first thing I asked when I joined the group was: "What is the problem we are trying to solve?". I got a lot of side answers but no one actually gave me a straight answer. I believe the group is inventing what doesn't need to be invented, that they are doing it just to go to a few conferences, make some presentations, write some papers and books. This is not what I signed for and it will be fun to see the progress of it.

So, this year all my technology related investigation will have to be performed at home. This means I won't use the company's resources and that I'll probably release it all under an Open Source License. Bad luck for the company I work for: if they don't want my best then it is OK for me, as long as I get payed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to C: CMake and CUnit

OpenClock and Gentoo

Gentoo with LUKS and LVM